Thursday, August 26, 2010

Donegal and on to Knock

Donegal is not very big. You can circle the town in half an hour and I believe we did several times. The first evening we went on the waterbus and the guide pointed out all the historical and funny points of interest. They use the islands to raise cows on because the grass is available the islands have pure spring water and when they want to go to market they walk the cattle off the islands at low tide.  Low tide here is like the bay of Fundy - the water goes out and leaves a huge mud flat area. The guide sang when he couldn't think of anything to say which luckily wasn't often as he wasn't Dennis Day. We walked around the shops and I looked into the window of McGinty's and Mr. McGinty came out and practically dragged us in so he could show us all the beautiful knits he had, we snuck out when another customer came in. Afterward we walked uptown and had a Sunday evening special at the Hotel (on Monday) I had Salmon and Peggy had roast Beef.  Both very good. We picked up a bottle of wine at the off-license and went back to the B & B by Taxi.

The next day we went and toured Donegal Castle. We also visited every shop in Donegal. The best one was Magees. We had seen a weavers exhibit out the back and when we asked the young man said he would demonstrate if we came back at half four.  We had lunch in a little cafeteria upstairs and went off to visit all the churches (there are four of them) - the Library was closed and we found the Napoleonic Anchor (it was in the middle of the sidewalk and we had past it several times already but didn't see it). We found Morna's Patch (quilting materials and patterns) and the Famine Graveyard.  It poured rain the moment we headed down hill to the graveyard - but as usual it stopped 5 minutes later. During the afternoon we also roamed through the Abbey ruins and the churchyard/graveyard.

At 4:30 we found Stephen from Magees and he took us out to the weavers exhibition. He told us the history of Magees weaving and showed us how the loom worked. They still wash the tweed in the river to soften it. Then he let me weave some cloth.  Peggy took a video which we will post later. He gave us a piece of Peat each to take home. We discovered that we could use the bakery computers if we bought coffee.  We went back to the B & B to get ready for the next day.

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to the video of you weaving.